Special message regarding COVID-19
At Living at Home of the Park Rapids Area we are staying attuned to the situation with Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19). We are looking at how we can help and protect the people we serve and our volunteers. We will be following recommendation from the Center for Disease Control (CDC) and from state and local public health. At this point in time, we are continuing with our regular volunteer services, but if advised by the MN Dept. of Health and/or the CDC we will cancel those services as well. We are implementing a series of screening questions as clients call to request services. Likewise, we will be asking those same questions of our volunteers.
The CDC has recommended for the age group we serve that activities and events with 10 or more participants be cancelled. Therefore, Living at Home sponsored activities and events including Senior Coffee and Caregiver Discussion Group are cancelled until further notice. We will be evaluating the situation daily and will publish a notice when those activities will resume. We will publish these updates on Facebook and here our website at www.parkrapidslivingathome.org.
We are recommending that everyone follows the CDC recommendations for everyday preventive measures:
- Stay home when you are sick with respiratory disease symptoms.
- Respiratory Etiquette: Cover coughs and sneezes with a tissue, then throw it in the trash can.
- Hand Hygiene: Wash hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds; especially after going to the bathroom; before eating; and after blowing your nose, coughing, or sneezing.
- If soap and water are not readily available, use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer with 60%-95% alcohol.
- Routinely clean frequently touched surfaces and objects in common use spaces.
The CDC has identified that people at higher risk for COVID-19 are older adults and people who have serious chronic medical conditions like heart disease, diabetes and lung disease. If you are at higher risk of getting very sick from COVID-19, you should:
- Stock up on supplies including extra food, medications, pet supplies and other provisions in the home if they need to spend two weeks at home.
- Take everyday precautions to keep space between yourself and others.
- When you go out in public, keep away from others who are sick, limit close contact and wash your hands often.
- Avoid crowds as much as possible.
- Avoid cruise travel and non-essential air travel.
During a COVID-19 outbreak in your community, stay home as much as possible to further reduce your risk of being exposed. While the developments with COVID-19 are very concerning, we have a supportive community here in Hubbard County and a good public health system in Minnesota to guide us through this.
Living at Home of the Park Rapids Area